Wednesday, January 21, 2009

the Long-Awaited Yoga Mat Bag

So a week and a half ago I promised a post about the yoga mat bag I was working on at the time, a simply knit stockinette bag in earth-toned variegated cotton yarn. Last week was incredibly hectic and I didn't get everything done that I had planned on. I did finish knitting the bag, and was very pleased with how nicely it turned out, looking nice and fitting my yoga mat perfectly. In fact it worked out so well that as I worked on it I was overloaded with ideas for bags worked in different colors and stitch patterns, as well as a series of matching water bottle carriers (because anyone who does yoga also recognizes the importance of staying well hydrated). Of course I haven't finished any of the other bags or even the water bottle carrier to match the bag I have finished, because unfortunately my fingers cannot knit as quickly as my brain can create the ideas. I had fully intended to post a photo of the completed bag in this post, but unfortunately when I made it back to yoga this morning after an absence of several days, I completely forgot that I needed the mat in order to photograph the mat bag containing the mat. Maybe tomorrow.

Meanwhile I'm knitting socks, because in the last week I've attended a funeral and the accompanying family dinner, a church meeting, and a church dinner, and I needed something a little more portable than the pound cone of cotton yarn I'm using to knit the second yoga bag. I love the bright-colored self-striping yarn and they have gone fairly quickly. I tried a toe-up pattern on two circular needles, which is awesome for traveling since all the needles are attached to the project at all times (I can't tell you how many times I've had to go searching for a missing double pointed needle before the two circular needle method was invented). I'm also working on an original design for a felted purse organizer. And since I finished the handwarmers and the Christmas tree skirt, my grandson's mommy has requested a pair of handwarmers and my mom said that she could really use a small Christmas tree skirt.

I guess this proves that, despite the insistence of my kids, I do NOT knit in my sleep. If I were knitting an extra six hours a night I wouldn't be this far behind on everything. I'll try to catch up and get a picture post up soon.

No comments: