Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Current WIP

A few weeks ago I was asked to provide a knitted baby blanket for our local Catholic Charities fundraiser dinner/auction. I was most happy to oblige since that gave me an excuse to try out a new pattern that I wanted to knit: Grumperina's Honeymoon Blanket. I had also been looking at Bernat's Baby Jacquards yarn, and this seemed to be the ideal pattern for me to try it out. So far I'm really pleased with how it's turning out.

Instead of a regular cast-on, I made a crochet chain cast-on of 163 stitches and started knitting my first block in the center of those stitches. Then as I added blocks I picked up more sts from the cast-on chain as needed. When I have it all knitted up and the four parts seamed together, I'll unravel the chain cast-on and pick up those stitches for the solid-color border.

Now I just need to decide whether I'm going to settle for solid yellow for the border (which I actually have on hand) or if I'm going to try and track down the green that I'd really like (Bernat Softee Baby in Soft Fern) instead. Mary Maxim has it in stock but I'd hate to have to pay shipping for one ball of yarn. I know that the yellow would be fine but the green would be fantastic.

I've really enjoyed working on this blanket and might have to do it again soon. I'll definitely post pics when it's finished before I turn it over to the fundraising committee.

No comments: