Saturday, December 20, 2008

Two Christmas Stockings

I finally finished my first of two big Christmas stocking projects for this year. This was a special order for two Christmas stockings for a friend. She had stockings for herself, her husband, and her two kids that had been machine-knitted several years ago, but the person who made them for her is no longer doing that. This year she gained a daughter-in-law and a son-in-law and wanted stockings made for them to coordinate with their existing stockings. She brought me the stockings earlier this fall and I've been working on them off and on since then. I completed them early this week and she picked them up today. I have to say that I'm very proud of how well they turned out, and she loved them too. I commented that I should have printed up a fancy "certificate of authenticity" verifying that these stockings are indeed designer originals as they weren't made from any particular pattern and are completely one-of-a-kind. In order to match the stockings she already had, these were knitted with dk weight yarn and size 2 needles at 7.5 stitches per inch. Needless to say they each took a few days to complete.

I am developing a photo catalog of all the fine gauge stockings I've made and the graphs for each one. Eventually I'll be able to have customers pick out various elements from the catalog to design their own. Meanwhile I'm about a third of the way through the second stocking of my second big stocking project of the year. By the time I finish this one (hopefully tomorrow) I think I'll be about stockinged out for a while.

No comments: