Monday, April 21, 2008

Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On!

Well, gee, it happened again. I was awakened again last night by yet another aftershock from Friday's earthquake. Mike slept right through this one, though. Apparently there have been quite a few others that are mild enough not to be noticeable, but after feeling the earth move three times in under 72 hours, I'm beginning to wonder whether a big one is next. I guess I really should be making sure that I have my disaster kit in place and accessible just in case.

I was rather amused on Friday afternoon to read a story in the Alton Telegraph online. Apparently a school administrator at South Roxana Elementary decided that in light of the earthquake it would be expeditious to conduct an earthquake drill during the morning. Imagine the consternation of everyone involved when, halfway through the five-minute drill, the 4.5 magnitude aftershock arrived! The principal was quoted later as saying that it made him a little nervous about planning a tornado drill.

Here's hoping that the next few days don't bring us anything quite this interesting.

No comments: