Saturday, May 4, 2013

My Version of the Prismatic Scarf

A while back a friend posted this photo of The Prismatic Scarf by Huan-Hua Chye on the Facebook page of our local knitting group.

I was intrigued by the pattern and did a Google search to locate the Ravelry page where the free pattern download is located.

Last week I went out to our local Walmart which has just recently begun selling yarn again after a hiatus of several years,


bought a few balls of Lion Brand Amazing,


and knitted up my own version of the Prismatic Scarf.

Of course, I rarely knit a pattern exactly as written, and this one was no exception. Instead of a regular long-tail cast on, I did a provisional i-cord cast on, then picked up the beginning provisional stitches to form the second selvage. I added one stitch inside each i-cord selvage which I knitted on every row to eliminate the long floats when a row ended up with sl 3, sl 3. Finally, when I had about 2 1/2 yards of yarn left, I did an i-cord bind-off and then grafted the last three stitches to the 3 stitches of the selvage so that the scarf appears to have an endless i-cord border. You have to look really closely to see the half-stitch shift where the ends are grafted. Bonus: no leftover bits of yarn that are too big to toss but not really big enough to do anything with.

 
My scarf ended up approximately 8" wide and 3 feet long, which is about right for tucking in around a coat collar. If I'd wanted a larger scarf to loop around my neck a time or two I would have needed a second ball of yarn. Overall, I loved the pattern and will probably make it again.

No comments: