Monday, June 15, 2009

Afghan Design Contest

So in a burst of inspiration (or insanity! LOL) I decided to enter the afghan design contest at Mary Maxim (one of my yarn suppliers). They had four categories available, with first prizes of $500 for each category, and a grand prize of $1500 for the overall winner (the best of the four category winners). I chose to enter two categories - baby blanket and knitted afghan - and have been knitting like crazy for the past couple of weeks. I finally have them both ready to go and I'm really happy with the way that both have turned out.

The full sized afghan (called Double Hearts) uses a combination of seed stitch knitted with a double strand of yarn (1 strand each of two colors) and double-knitted panels with one strand on each side of the afghan. The end result is a pretty afghan with reversible heart panels.
The baby afghan (Primary Blocks) is a riot of bright primary colors, with a center square knitted from four diagonal blocks that I joined while knitting, and then borders of bright yellow with blue corners and an outside border of red. One of my sons pointed out the irony of using pastels (or at least pink) for the full sized afghan and primary colors for the baby afghan, but I really like them both. If I win first prize in either category, they will pay me the prize money and keep both the afghan and the pattern. Otherwise I'll get them back and have two afghans and two patterns to sell on my Etsy site. It's a win-win situation no matter what happens.

No comments: